Mr C Dodd – Staff Editor
This exciting GSAL competition, based on the Dukes Education Essay Prize, is open to all students at GSAL. Inspired by the famous past entrance exam for fellows at All Souls College, Oxford, students write an essay in response to a one-word title. Students can choose any subject or combination of subjects for their essay.
The competition rewards creativity, lateral approaches, and engagement with a subject beyond the curriculum. It is the perfect opportunity to get a taste of university-style work assignments, and a prize is a great achievement to discuss on a personal statement.
The seven titles for 2019 are…
Nation – Guilt – Security – Infinity – Energy – Gender – Icon
How To Enter
1. Pick one title from the words above.
2. Write an essay of a maximum of 1,500 words (including quotes, excluding footnotes). One essay per student.
3. Submit your essay to Mr Dodd in school. Please include your name and year group.
4. Deadline: Monday 22nd April.
5. A selection of the winning essays will be published right here in The GSAL Journal, and the best entries from Year 11 & 12 may be submitted to the Dukes Education Essay Prize.